It is professional courtesy that prior to quitting a job, you should give a two weeks’ notice to your employer. If you are obliged to any other kind of paperwork or agreements, it is courteous and professional to go through these steps patiently and thoroughly.
It will be appropriate that you should give the notice first in person and then follow it with an email.
Here are some elements that you should definitely avoid when you are writing a two weeks’ notice email.
1. Email the relevant manager about your resignation after informing in person. When emailing, always cc (carbon copy) the email so it is easily available when needed.
2. Be direct right from the start. Achieve that by pasting “two weeks’ notice” in the subject bar so there is no obscurity from the very beginning of the email.
3. It is very important that you leave with a good reputation. Therefore, do not specifically mention the reason of your resignation. Instead, say something like you want to test your capabilities in a different environment etc. it is essential that you and your employer part on genteel terms, as your future company can approach him/her for reference.
4. It is recommended that you should complete any pending projects during your two weeks’ notice and offer help to do as much you can in these two weeks. Do remember that you will be moving out of the company in just two weeks so do not commit for anything that you may not be able to complete.
5. Leave your personal contact details once you have completed your notice period. It is a professional courtesy to do so. Tell them they can reach you in case of any urgency or regarding completion of any unfinished matter.
6. Be thankful to your employer for providing you with this opportunity. Mention that it was a huge stepping-stone for you. You also need to express how much you have grown professionally by working for them. It will leave a door open for you in the future.
7. The date of your departure is pivotal. Give the exact date on which you will leave the company so they are able to find a replacement and handle other related logistics.
Always remember these seven steps when writing an email for your notice. It is essential that you quit with grace and leave without any hard feelings. Be professional and courteous from the moment you mention the resignation. It will be helpful for you to pass these 14 days without any extra stress and awkwardness. Also, someone from the previous company might meet you somewhere in the future and it will be appropriate to avoid any unnecessary awkwardness. Therefore, it is pivotal that you resign with dignity intact.